Thursday, October 18, 2012

(RE)starting with Houdini

Well... I have always loved the way Houdini works and have been using it for a couple of months now, but actually, we never really got finally introduced. So, there are couple of intermediate to advanced things I have a hang of, but then there are couple of very basic things that I have NO idea about. SO, I decided that before really diving into this huge sim, it would be nice to understand the basics better. Now, for the next couple of weeks I am going through the basic videos. It gets really dull at times, but I am getting a wealth of information, I had no idea about. So here goes what I did today.

createAttribute with colour override
I have started off with trying to understand attributes and groups a bit better. So I made a grid and then output some groups out of the polyExtrude and then based on the group gave them different colours.

Creating groups using polyExtrude

Here I just displaced the $TY with a random value using rand($PT) to create a mountainSop-ish displacement.

Randomising the y-coordinate on a per-point basis
Here I created a new set of attributes and then copied them over to yet another set. You can see the spreadsheet and the per-point attrib values displayed in the viewport.


WTF did I do!! I was trying to project a path on a grid, but instead of using the ray sop used the rails sop. Houdini had a minor heart attack :p

OOPS!
That's more like it

A path projected on a grid with a mountain sop on it

No comments:

Post a Comment